Pageviews

August 11, 2012

LATERAL LIGAMENT SPRAIN


I have not been running for many lonely days already.  The last time I ran was in July 21, an easy 8-km run.

The reason for this running famine of sorts for me is an injury last July 26 which had my mobility very much hampered (it took me more than 20 agonizing minutes the 50-meter distance from AIM to the parking area in Greenbelt) and me very much in pain,  to the point that I had to request my wife to bring me to the emergency room of Asian Hospital the morning of July 27.



The thing to put on my left arm upon my admission to the ER
  
The ortho doctor available at that time, Dr. Eric Morales, diagnosed it as lateral ligament sprain. The lateral ligaments are the ligaments on the outside of the knee. An impact to the inside of the knee or twisting of the knee can cause the outside ligament to tear resulting in knee pain. The tear can be a few small fibres to a complete rupture. If you have a severe sprain then you could possibly have damaged the cruciate ligaments as well. Lateral ligament sprains are rare but are more likely to happen in contact sports. An old ligament injury can niggle without being too severe.

Lateral ligament
The  doctor prescribed painkiller medicines and suggested that I wear a knee support.  With the prodding   of my wife, I followed the doctor to the letter.  By the 29th of July, my mobility has improved and the pain was gone.  But in the process, I failed to run in the Milo Marathon Eliminations – Manila leg scheduled for that Sunday (July 29) morning.


It is now August 10 and I still have not had the chance and will to run.  Twenty days in the desert.   

I hate this feeling of not running.............................

No comments: