Pageviews

March 8, 2019

MATSU: Haven for Ultra First-Timers


The Mt. Asog 360 Ultramarathon (MATSU) is proving to be a haven for runners gunning for their first ultramarathon. Now on its 2nd edition and organized by RUNconada, MATSU is kind of like the Tagaytay to Nasugbu (T2N) ultra which is organized by the grand daddy of Philippine ultramarathon - the Bald Runner.  Both MATSU and T2N are ultras with a 50km distance and have seen its fare share of ultra first timers.

The Bicolano Penguin's first ultra is the T2N, Back in Nov 2010, I joined the T2N only 6  months after I have survived my first full marathon. Luckily for me and many other first time ultra marathoners, the route of T2N was not brutally hard given that the terrain from hilly Tagaytay to the beach town of Nasugbu is mostly downhill.  
Race Director Cyrus of Runconada explaining the 50km route around Mt. Asog  at the  briefing in the afternoon before the race.
But for MATSU, the terrain is fairly brutal.  Brutal in the sense that beyond Km 3, the terrain graduates from flat to hilly as we entered the foothills of Mt Asog with some parts of the route after Km 8 not accessible to four-wheeled vehicles without all -terrain drive capability.  And to top everything else, after running for 47 kilometers mostly under the heat of the tropical sun, MATSU saved the best (or is it worst?) for last with an insane assault up and down  the hundred steps of the Inorogan hill shrine. MATSU is not for the ones weak in spirit and in knees  
Don't let their beaming smile fool you. Tackling the hilly trail part of MATSU is no easy matter.  This photo is taken at somewhere between Km 15 and Km 16.  
Nonetheless, despite these brutal facts about MATSU, many first timers flock to it and apparently survive to tell their stories of valor.  
Group photo of the MATSU runners who stayed in BP's house. In this picture alone, there are 3 participants running their 1st ultra. Emm of Partido, JR of Manila and Filipino of Masbate. 
Here are a trio of runners that ran their first ultramarathon at the MATSU held last Feb 3, 2019.           
  

Rovi Ferrer (Bib N0. 129)

The feels after the first ultramarathon?
Rovi proudly showing her first finisher trophy of an ultramarathon 
It was surreal. Just the thought of finishing beyond a 42km distance is surreal specially for a first timer, I felt accomplished. It feels like I can do anything after the ultramarathon - even if it isn't about running.  Masaya din coz I can call myself an ultramarathoner after the race.  I did a 50km, and I was wanting more...a 60K perhaps and a year after would be a double than first one - a 100km. 
Rovi showing good form in the flats...

...and in the uphill.

With a time of 6:27:13, the  finisher medal and trophy of MATSU2 was well-earned by 1st-timer Rovi. 

I also cried after the race, it was when I thank the Lord whom I draw the strength, endurance and speed from.  I realized that we were given the mind to control our body, to surpass the limitations that only our mind has set upon us and it is also our thinking that can make those limitations boundless. I cried perhaps tears of joy, perhaps a cry of faith, I'm not sure but what I know is that I am grateful for the opportunity to have finished an ultramarathon and indeed, as a friend said it will be the first of many more ultramarathons to join at. 
Welcome to the Brotherhood (Sisterhood) of Ultra running.   Rovi in the company of accomplished ultra runners Mia and Evelyn. 

Mariela Cagnayo (Bib No. 120)

"Never say die", that's the motto of my first ever ultramarathon. As a runner for almost two and a half years now, I can say that my heart have been developed together with my body and my mind throughout these years. The preparation for my first ultramarathon was hard given my hectic schedule as a permanent elementary teacher from Mondays-Fridays and an MA student at Bicol University Graduate School during Saturdays. My only training was during Sundays and its duration was only for a month. Even if it was only for a month, I did not stop doing calisthenics everyday.  I'm very happyy that during these Sundays, I trained lightly and hardly together with my supportive boyfriend. I am lucky enough I have him as one of my trainors. I am also thankful for Team Pioduran and Team Subo for assisting me wholeheartedly in my running years. 

A night before, I drank soda, already ate one energy gel and did a bit of calisthenics. I also carboloaded well.  My heart beat really fast before the race proper.  The feeling was a bit easy than my 42km run. 
Mariela with a girlish smile of a first timer at the starting line. 

Calm and easy in the uphill part. 
5am Gunstart.  I was a bit down because I know for a fact that I was the 3rd to the last runner but when the road shifted to uphill-downhill, I went a bit fast down to the trail runs because it is really my favorite. From Km 16, the road was open and wide. The scenery was spectacular and refreshing.  There was even a station which I stopped to cha cha.  After the very long uphill and downhill, Km 35 and forward was the road which challenged me.  It was a very long road which requires more energy for it is flat.  The pain was already unbearable after Km 40, the last 10Km of the ultra but I told myself that even I already feel the pain, "I WILL NEVER SURRENDER." I am also thankful to one runner friend, ate Mhai Ra for the concern on the road as she gave me one gatorade and a dose of encouragement to go despite what I felt. As I approached the crossing for Inorogan Hill, I was really exhausted and just wanted to walk so I did starting from the rocky road and up the point that we have to climb the hundred-stepped stairs and have to crawl down again. Haha! Going down to the last 2Kms, I already felt the total exhaustion plus the crunching of my feet. It already hurt so much that I even cannot run downhill. The rocky road went on and at last, I heard voices, I was near the finish line.  Seeing and hearing them rejoicing upon my arrival was already a great reward to me.  I crossed the finish line with a time of 9:20:04. My first ultra was done.  Hearing the congratulatory message of Team Runconada was just amazing. I felt like I am a hero who was congratulated for my deed. I felt the genuine appreciation from a runner to a runner.  Plus, the presence of a loved one at the finish line was really overwhelming when finally, the race was over . My beloved was really anxious during 1:00 -2:30pm but he told me when he finally saw me, he stood up and instantly thanked God. I was more than joyous now when I crossed the finish line and was awarded with the finisher's trophy and medal. I said to myself: "At last, I made it...after 8 long months of wait after my 42K."

"I will never surrender."

Red carpet welcome for the successful finisher of MATSU2
Post-race.  After MATSU, I had 3 days of hurtful walks and did a recovery run almost a week after the ultra.  The euphoria was unexplainable during the recovery week.  The warm appreciation and congratulatory messages overjoyed my total being.  All-in-all, I can say that I really enjoyed my first ultra in the beautiful city of  Iriga. It led me to become a more passionate runner most especially on flats.  My run was jollier than last year's SMIR. To never say die, to think positively, to always seek guidance of the Almighty became the keys for me to run and finish safely. 

I am very blessed I have the support of all the amazing people in the running community, my family, friends and special someone in my passion for running. 

To more ultras, I will go!! To more running friends , we will glow. To more learnings, I will grow. 
Glowing, even in black & white
Pines Bana (Bib No. 1128)

After finishing my first ultra?  I couldn't stop recalling and relishing the experience:  As this was my first ultramarathon, and I haven't even had a full one first, I planned to run slow to sustain my energy stores. It was a good decision . Had I ran the way I did in my previous half marathons, I think I would have crawled to the finish line or not finish altogether. The Mt. Asog 360 course to me was beautiful but fierce! The scenery was astounding but the uphills and the trails were cruel to the first-timer's feet. It felt like my legs weighed triple starting at around 35km and I was practically dragging them through the last 15.  I didn't want to give up  and the support teams and the co-runners around me were great!  They believed I could and so I couldn't let them down. And I know my husband, who ran faster, was waiting for me in the finish line. "No choice but to do this!"
Pines and hubby Benedick claiming their race kits at the MATSU2 race briefing

Piously putting one foot forward and then the other, again and again. That is the craft of an ultra runner.  

In the company of kindred spirits,  a roadside coffee offered by a Good Samaritan can be a peer to a Starbucks.   
The "bonus" stairs to Inorogan Chapel (after 48kms!!!) was most dreadful to the knees but my intense focus not to fall(not to mention all the angels and saints I summoned for help) made me complete it. And the last 2 kilometers seemed quite the longest, haha! And then there they were, the runners and my husband at their midst, cheering me on. I did it 30 minutes to the cut off! I did it!!!
Even with their hearty smile, one can not tell if this photo is before or after the assault on the hundred steps of Inorogan. 

An approving smile from hubby is an added bonus to the finisher medal and trophy.
Then I was like "never again." But after just two days (when I actually expected more), when all sorts of body ache eased away, I was amazed at the human body and its capacity to heal and be great again. It's a new way of getting to know myself, and of God's genius on the human body and the magnificent grace of strength.
"This may be my first and last ultra, never again!"  Butig.  

Amazing to see grace and eloquence among our first-time ultra marathoners. Must be something in the MATSU air that brings out the best in all of us. Must be something in long distance running that inspire continuous improvement

Speaking of excellence  and improvement, it is worth noting that several runners who joined the 1st and 2nd editions of the MATSU  exhibited marked progression in their finish time.  Several finished much faster in the 2019 edition than last year's.  To all of them, man or beast, congratulations as well.


MATSU2 male podium finishers:  Diogenesis  of CRC (3rd), Christian of Hukbong Kabitenyo, and Antonio of Camsur Tri Team (2nd).   

MATSU female podium finishers:  Jessa (3rd), Jessica of TOUR (1st), and Lhara of CRC (2nd).
Improvement from the rock island of Catanduanes.  Anton was faster by 23 minutes in MATSU2. 

Strike a pose worthy of a much improved finish time.  In MATSU2, Myla (Bib#112) shaved more than 50 mins from her finish  time the previous year.  
Serenity in motion. Bob finished MATSU2 at 27 mins faster than his time in the 1st edition. 

Baron the ultra running Russell Terrier was 29 minutes faster in MATSU2 compared to the 1st MATSU. Continuous improvement is not just for humans. 
And any written piece about the MATSU experience will not be complete without expressing appreciation of the great work that the Race Director Cyrus Nacario and  his fellow RUNconada team  members have been doing in organizing the race.  It is not easy to organize a run, much more a long distance running event like an ultra marathon. At times, it can even be a thankless job.  Given the long duration of the distance, a lot of bad things can happen but the MATSU organizers have done a proactive job in making sure all the runners have a great experience.

RUNconada team volunteers transporting supplies for the MATSU2 hydration stations. 

Police and Rescue personnel from various LGUs joining in the security and saefty plan for MATSU2

Merienda of local staple pansit bato for the MATSU2 participants at the race briefing

A classy act for RUNconada to have other race organizers talk about their upcoming races.  CRC promoted its Nag-Hibi 60K Ultra Supremacy scheduled for April 7. 

Lao  promoted his CaramoRUN scheduled for April 12-13 in Catanduanes. 

Apol of RUNconada handing over to Ernie of row5runnin the mug for early bird registrants. 
Cheering for the last runner. Cheering as enthusiastic as the one for the first runner to cross the finish line. 
Truly, we the runners have an awesome experience with MATSU. So awesome that we all look forward to the 3rd edition.
Camaraderie, just like ultra first-timers, is in abundance in MATSU2.
MATSU3 here we come.  First-timers and veterans very much welcome.      
                      





Photo credits:  RUNConada, Sarj LuaresMariela Oyales Cagnayo, Pines Herreria-BanaRovi FerrerMarie Toni D. Senar-JimenezMark Christian.Aguilar   

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Nice event! I can see you really enjoyed it! Sakit.info

BP said...

Yes indeed. Running in our own home town truly make it special. Thank you.