Pageviews

December 20, 2011

EXCHANGE GIFT: ULTRAMARATHON MAN BOOK


Christmas is a season of sharing and giving.  Here in the Philippines, a time-honored practice in many a X’mas parties in companies, schools   and organizations is the exchange gift.  As a grade schooler in Iriga City during the Martial Law years, I thoroughly  enjoyed the exchange gift(s).  

This year of 2011 is special.  It is the first time that I received a running-related gift from the X'mas practice.  



Yup.  I received the “Ultramarathon Man- Confessions of An All-Night Runner” book courtesy of my long-time officemate Clariz Timog as part of the activities of our Finance Department (First Balfour) Christmas Party  last week.


Authored by world-renowned distance runner  Dean Karnazes, the book is touted by the Chicago Tribune as a “spirited memoir that can help mere mortals who want to push past their perceived limits or simply jump start their sedentary lives.”


Perfect for me as I prepare for my very first Bataan Death March (BDM)  Ultramarathon (102 kms) scheduled for March 2012.  Late this year, me and 3 of my Ateneo de Naga HS 1983 batchmates (Fards, Ernie and Bob) received emails from the Bald Runner that our application to run in the 2012 BDM has been accepted. The distance of 102 kms, coupled with the historical mystique of  the original WW2 death march, will surely make the BDM a daunting task.  This Dean Karnazes book will surely provide a lot of inspiration and boost in the adventure of the Bicolano Penguin  to be extraordinary.


Thank you very much, Cla, and may you continue to exhibit the joy of generosity.  


Thank God for exchange gift(s).

No comments: