Pageviews

April 30, 2013

BOSTON STRONG NAGA: Humabol


A day after our April 22 Boston Strong Muntinlupa run in Filinvest City, Alabang, I was informed by my fellow 83nean  Ric Lozano that a trio of his running buddies (Joji Asis, Lito Atento and Gary Castillo) and he went on a run to show their support for the Boston Marathon. 

They ran for 14 kms in Naga City. I thanked and congratulated him. I promised  that the extra shirts from our April 22 run would be for his Boston Strong Naga group.

I also requested him for some pictures, but  this one came only early this week. 

In front of the Quince Martires Monument

The site of the picture taking is in front of the Quince Martires Monument right in the heart of Naga City. The Plaza Quince Martires was built in 1926  to honor the 15 martyrs of Bicol executed in 1897 at the start of the  revolution against Spanish rule (http://naga.gov.ph/naga-smiles-2/bikol-honors-its-15-martyrs-of-the-1896-revolution/). 

The choice on the part of Ric is symbolic because the Boston Marathon, too, has an intimate connection with freedom. It is held yearly since 1901 on Patriots Day, a state holiday in honor of the first battles of the American  Revolution in 1775  (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-16/why-boston-s-marathon-is-special.html). 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I'm a reporter for Runner's World magazine, and I'm working on a list of all of the Boston Strong runs that took place around the world. I'm trying to gather some information from each race, if you can help me with yours: The date and start time of your event (including time zone), and the total participant count.

Thank you!
Nick Weldon - nick.weldon@rodale.com

BP said...

Hi Nick. Thank you for the interest. It is an honor indeed to hear from Runner's World. I emailed the info you requested.