Pageviews

November 20, 2013

7 MARATHONS & 7 ULTRAS

EmoticonSeven. 

It is both a happy number and a lucky prime. It is a significant number in many cultures and religions. People talk about the seven days of creation, seven wonders of the world, seven colors in the rainbow, seven last words, seven continents, seven days of the week, seven virtues, even seven corporal acts of mercy. My lolo considered 7 as his favorite number and even his name "Agapito" when translated to English meant "morning seven." In local basketball, my favorite player ever had 7 as the  number in his jersey.

7 is a well-loved number. So, when the count(s) of both my marathon and ultra marathons reached seven this month, I requested my blog editor to come up with a collage.  She responded with a couple. 


It was in the closing days of 2009 that I started dreaming of finishing a full marathon. The book "Born to Run" so inspired me to go for longer distances beyond the 10K and 5K fun runs I have been joining. If sandal-clad native Americans can do it up in the wilderness of the Copper Mountains of Mexico, how can I not do it, too. Three years later, this 2013, I now have conquered, more like survived, more than a handful. 

I am thankful for local running luminaries, the Bull Runner and the Bald Runner, for organizing running events like the TBR Dream Marathon and the PAU ultra series, which have introduced hundreds of Pinoy runners to this endurance running lifestyle.  

The Bicolano Penguin is  grateful to the many running buddies, and support crew, who have joined him in the adventure, foremost among them being the 83neans, the First Balfour runners, and Wandering Jouster. 

Marathons and ultras are long but they do feel shorter the more friends I have with me in the journey.  


Maraming maraming salamat. 

Another round of 7s please for the BP.Emoticon         

No comments: