Pageviews

November 15, 2015

Running With The Running Tribe of First Balfour


There was an itch in my feet that needed scratching.

For several weeks already, I have not been able to do a weekend LSD run.  My wife was in the hospital and family comes first.  Thus, when my wife was discharged from the hospital this Friday, I looked forward to a run this weekend.  But the run has to be within Metro Manila so that I can still be near my wife as she undergoes healing and recovery. Running in the Philippine Marine Corps Marathon in Ternate, Cavite was not possible for me.

Luckily, my running tribe in First Balfour invited me to join them in their LSD in the south this Sunday.  I call our running group in First Bafour a running tribe, and not a running club, because ours is not a formal grouping with rules, regulations, elections and membership dues. 

So early this Sunday morning, I woke up at 4am and headed to Filinvest Alabang.  There waiting for me already were Alice, Delsie, Iya, Nikki, Rose and her hubby Tato. All of use were geared up in the row5runnin shirts displayed in varying colors of the rainbow. 



We run 3 laps around a 5-km loop and we did an easy run - running (and not walking) at a pace which would not be fast enough that would lead us to be catching our breath.  We were trying out one aspect of the Maffetone Method. Our split times were at 35 mins, 34 mins and 40 mins for each of the 5-km loop.    


We felt good about the run as we ran as a group or better yet as a running tribe. We ran as the hunter and not the hunted. 

But after the run was better. My running tribe gave me a basket of fruits for my wife.  It was their way of showing solidarity with me and my family.  I was touched and later so did my wife.  We never felt alone in our medical ordeal these past few weeks. 
   


Yup, solidarity is what tribes are all about. 

                 


No comments: