Pageviews

March 6, 2020

TBR DREAM MARATHON 2020: Alfred's Story



Blogger's Note:  

For the Bull Runner Sun Life Dream Marathon 2020, there were 13 First Balfour employees who registered.  Of the total, 10 were able to actually start and finish the 42km running event  at the Clark Parade Grounds in Pampanga.  All 10 were requested by the Bicolano Penguin to answer 3 questions related to their first experience of a full marathon.  The first to submit answers is actually the first among the 10 to finish the Feb 16 race.  His name is Alfred Pascual (Bib# 0771).  He finished with a time of 5:57:49.  Tall and lithe of built, this Civil Engineer showed promise early into our training runs. An iskolar ng bayan during his college years in UP-Los Banos, Alfred was paced by Manuel Calma, our runner with the fastest TBRDM time (4:53:00) among all the  55 TBR alumni in First Balfour.   Here are Alfred's answers to the 3 questions:


1.  Why join the TBR Dream Marathon?

I joined the TBR Dream Marathon to test what I am capable of.  Unlike other sports where the goal is to win against an opponent,  running is a sport where you battle against yourself. And since I am a beginner, the TBR Dream Marathon is the perfect avenue for me to try out running along with my fellow batchmates who were also first-timers so there was no pressure for competition among us. 
In a jacket, Alfred with First Balfour batchmates during the race kit claiming last Feb 12.   

2.  What was the experience like in training and running your first full marathon?

I started training around July, before the invitation to join the TBRDM was formalized.  Back then, I couldn't even run for 10 minutes straight. The best part of the training was seeing my improvement with every run that I do. I also enjoyed our group trainings in Alabang and UP Diliman.  Running with friends definitely makes training more enjoyable and bearable.   
Alfred training in Batangas with fellow First Balfour runners in August last year. 
When the event finally came, I felt equally excited and nervous.  Excited because it was finally the culmination of all our efforts. Nervous because of doubts on whether or not my training was enough. When I finally finished, I could barely walk properly. My legs and calves were cramping up, and my knees are aching.  But amidst all the physical pain, I felt fulfilled because I was able to push through the pain and exhaustion and finally finish the race.
Running behind his pacer Manuel halfway thru the 42kms.  

3.  Would you recommend  the TBR Dream Marathon to your loved ones and friends?

I would definitely recommend it to my friends and loved ones because the TBR Dream Marathon is like a gateway drug to running.  The support from the organizers before, during, and after the race is amazing, and you get to train with your friends and the running community. 

Feeling fulfilled, Alfred eyes the finish line of his first full marathon. 

  





Photo credits:  Starting Line PHRun Snap





        

No comments: