Pageviews

March 9, 2020

TBR DREAM MARATHON 2020: Abram and the Dream Chaser



Blogger's Note:

For the Bull Runner Sun Life Dream Marathon 2020, there were 13 First Balfour employees who registered.  Of the total, 10 were able to actually start  and finish the 42km running event at the Clark Parade Grounds in Pampanga.  All 10 were requested by the Bicolano Penguin to answer 3 questions related to their first experience of a full marathon.  One of those early to respond is Abram Veloria (Bib# 1013). He is a young mechanical engineer, having just graduated from DLSU a couple years back. One interesting aspect of his answer is his interaction with a Dream Chaser. Technically, dream chasers are a group of volunteers who provide support to the first time marathoners by providing creative and positive means of motivation and encouragement,  and are typically assigned  a station from where they run with random dreamers who have an apparent need to be paced.  They may look like cheerleaders but to many dreamers a Dream Chaser is the closest thing to an angel in the surface of the running Earth.  For Abram, who finished with a time of 7:10:54,   his guardian angel is Ken and he has been inspired to Pay It Forward by this angel. Here are Abram's response to the 3 questions:          

Why join the TBR Dream Marathon?

At first I declined the invite of Manuel Calma to join the TBR Dream Marathon after hearing that it was a 42.2km run. I am not really into running. In fact, my longest run before joining TBR is 5km during a school fun run back then.  Since First Balfour is active in promoting wellness, it encouraged me to join the TBR Dream Marathon because of the thought of running will lead me to have a healthier lifestyle.

What was the experience like training and running your first full marathon?

The marathon experience gave a me a lot of lessons.

First, the marathon experience made me realize that success is not granted right away.  You have to work hard for you to reach your goal.  Despite the busy schedule, I made sure that at least I would be able to run once or twice a week during my training period and it definitely paid off during the race day. 
First Balfour dreamers (with Abram in the middle) at one of the Bull Sessions in Dec 2020 
Second,  there will always be setbacks along the way.  3 weeks prior to the marathon, I was diagnosed with hypertension due to unusual peaks of my blood pressure. I thought I won't be able to participate in the race because I won't be medically cleared if my blood pressure did not normalize.  I never lost hope.  As advised, I had to make sure to have complete sleep, eat the right food, and monitor my blood pressure everyday.  During the medical evaluation, results were normal and I was cleared to join the race. 

Third, the marathon experience help me realize that every one has their specific time of being successful. 

Fourth, Pay it forward.  I was in my last loop when my legs were already sore and it was very hard for me to run already when Ken (dream chaser) offered to run with me during the last 3 kms of the race.  Asked him why he signed up as a dream chaser and he told me that it is an act of paying it forward since a dream chaser also helped him when he was having a hard time during his marathon before. 
Abram and Dream Chaser Ken at the finish line.

Lastly, reaching your goal is all in the mindset.

To finish a full marathon, a cool confidence helps. 

3.  Would you recommend the TBR Dream Marathon to your loved ones and friends?

Yes, I already invited my Dad and Girlfriend to run the next year's TBR Dream Marathon and if schedule permits I would probably pace the marathon with them.








   


      






No comments: