Pageviews

March 10, 2020

TBR DREAM MARATHON 2020: All Blood, Sweat & Calories for Rainier



Blogger's Note:

For the Bull Runner Sun Life Dream Marathon 2020, there were 13 First Balfour employees who registered.  Of the total, 10 were able to actually start and finish the 42km running event at the Clark Parade Grounds in Pampanga,  All 10 were requested by the Bicolano Penguin  to answer 3 questions related to their first experience of a full marathon.  One of the more hard-working First Balfour dreamers is Rainier Tom (Bib#  0973)  and this was evident in his finish time of 6:15:56, the 2nd fastest among this year's batch from the Quadruple A contractor.  All blood, sweat and calories, he says.  Hailing from Baguio City, this mechanical engineer is happy to check one item from his bucket list - finishing a full mary. Here is Rainier's reply  to the 3 questions:

1.  Why join the TBR Dream Marathon?

I really wanted to try a full marathon since I was training in high school for other sports.  However, seeing the distance that these marathoners travel scares me to even try. Having my enthusiastic batchmates and supportive family motivated me to join.  Aside from crossing that bucket list of finishing a full marathon, I was motivated to join the TBr Dream Marathon for improving my health both mentally and physically.     

2.  What was the experience like training and running your first full marathon?

It was filled with leg cramps, fatigue and chest pains.  I was doubting and kidding myself that I can barely finish the race in 8 hours because I'm already out of breath during the first few weeks of training.  Finishing the race felt impossible at the start.  As the weeks passed slowly, we haven't even noticed the improvement from our runs. 
One last LSD run before the TBR Dream Marathon:  Rainier in  his alma mater with the BP.      

Doing the training program alone could've been difficult and demotivating but I'm very thankful that we have a supportive team, patient coaches and motivated batchmates through this journey.  After finishing those gruesome trainings, I grew confident that I could finish the race.  Running past that finish line was worth all our blood, sweat and calories.  Through the pain of it all, one could say "di na ako uulit" but definitely am eager to run again. 
With 2 kilometers to go, Rainier was cool with the thought of bagging one for his bucket list.   

3.  Would you recommend the TBR Dream Marathon to your loved ones and friends?  

I would love to encourage my family and friends to join this experience. I already told my ninong who was once a triathlete who had a long pause in joining marathons or triathlons to run with me.  Shoutout to ninong Jess!  Seeing that I can do a full marathon, my girlfriend was convinced that she can do the same. 









      






  

No comments: